We all love dogs. They have become such a part of our culture and our family that they sleep with us, eat with us, hang out with us. They are our tried and true companions, our best friends, and our confidants. They give us unconditional love, only wanting to please us and get love in return.
How much do you know about dogs? I bet there will be one or two things in this list you didn’t know. I’ve worked with dogs my entire adult life, and there’s some I didn’t know either.
So on to the list:
- A dog’s nose print is as unique as your fingerprint. No two nose prints are alike.
2. Speaking of noses, a dog’s sense of smell is 10,000 times stronger than ours. Can you imagine being able to smell something bad 10,000 times more. Yuck! Dogs don’t seem to mind though.
3. How about a dog’s ears? They can hear 4 times the distance. That’s probably why I can never sneak a bag of chips without them knowing.
4. Your dog circles around and around, then curls up in a ball to sleep. Do you know why? They do it not only to stay warm but as an innate instinct to protect their vital organs.
5. And speaking of sleeping, puppies sleep 18-20 hours a day while growing. “Mom, I’m gonna go take a nap” Zonk! Wake up 18 hours later.
6. While we’re on the subject of puppies, they have 28 teeth. Adults have 42.
7. A dog’s sleep is much like ours and that is why they dream.
8. Dog’s can sense time: Probably why my dog Ginger bugs me every day at 5 pm. It’s dinner time!
9. Dogs only sweat through the pads of their feet.
10. While we are contemplating that, has your dog’s paws ever smelled like Fritos? It’s because a combination of microorganisms and sweat give off a nutty aroma. I will never think of Fritos in the same way again!
11. Dogs do not only see in black and white. They can also see color, mostly blue and yellow.
12. Dogs can recognize more than 150 words. When mine are outside, and I yell “Hungry Hippos,” they come running!
13. Do you know all the reasons dogs bark? They are being protective, sounding the alarm, bored, greeting you, or they want attention. Or maybe they just like to hear themselves talk. We all know that one in the group.
14. When you pet a dog, not only does your blood pressure goes down, but so does the dog’s.
15. And lastly, both humans and dogs excrete the hormone oxytocin(the love hormone) It’s been studied that long-term friendship between humans and dogs might be due to oxytocin positive interactions between them.
Did you learn at least one thing you didn’t know about dogs? Dogs are special creatures, and life would be lonely and boring without them. And life for them would be lonely and boring without us.
If you are looking for a dog, check out your local shelter. There are so many lost and lonely pups waiting for their furever home! All of my dogs (4) were rescues and they are the best kind!
If you like my content, consider signing up for my newsletter. Be the first to know about posts, get free stuff, promo codes. Be the first to know about sales and new releases.
Do you want to get 25 % off in my Etsy shop right now? Click here: Promo Code
I have a Facebook group TimmelCrochet for Dogs where designer/makers of handmade dog items can connect with people looking for unique handmade items for their dogs. Click here to join: Facebook Group
You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook @timmelcrochet.